Saturday, January 12, 2013

Hello Again, or Perhaps for the First Time

I always feel like “first posts” are the most awkward thing to read. It’s like introducing yourself on the weirdest blind date ever…a blind date with potentially lots of other people or with nobody. Maybe I’m introducing myself to strangers or maybe I’m introducing myself to one or two of my very good friends. There is really no way of knowing on a first post who the hell you’re talking to. So let’s just skip it. Whoever you are that’s reading this. I’m just going to pretend that I've been writing the blog for years.
So it’s 2013, I feel like it’s going to be a great year. At the start of 2012 I had very high hopes but I felt this dark cloud hovering over my head all the time. I just knew that trouble was waiting right around the corner. Maybe it was this attitude that got me into trouble, self-fulfilling prophecy or whatever. I think I set up my 2012 to be faced with lots of different kinds of challenges whereas 2013 I've set myself up with lots of positive opportunities.  Ya ya ya, I know that’s all a matter of perspective…but that’s exactly what I’m getting at right now. I feel like I’m in a really great place right now in my life. My attitude is more positive it’s been since…well ever. I’m not faking it this time and it feels unreal.
I always felt like nobody was really as happy as they were saying. How could that level of contentment really exist? And people that went on and on about how “blessed” they felt and how uncontrollably happy they were…blegh…it seemed so phony to me. I honestly didn’t know that people could genuinely be so overcome with how great life was going. Well I’m telling you now, it’s real. It took me awhile to realize it was happening to me, but once I accepted how great everything was it took me even longer to trust that this wasn't just the calm before some huge storm that was waiting for me.
And now here we are, 2013. Things just seem to be progressively getting better.
I have some goals for 2013; I won’t say resolution on here…because you can break a resolution. But I have some goals I’m working toward for 2013, goals have set backs and take time to achieve; you can direct your attention away from goals for a moment if you need to. Goals seem more forgiving than resolutions.
Goal 1: Reclaim my health. I've not paid enough attention to my own health since I was pregnant with Aiden. This year I hope to get some really good habits in place and feel better in my own skin.

Goal 2:  Read at least 100 books this year. My current “books to read” list has grown to 393 books. Now I will say, on my “books to read” list are a lot of books I've already read but just want to read again, but those still count. I think 100 is a pretty reasonable number for the year.

Goal 3: To get my savings out of the place that makes me want to throw up. I've found some good tools to help me reach this goal. I’ll share in the posts to come.

Goal 4: To feel more in control of my life. I think Goal 3 would seriously help with this.

Goal 5: To at least start to learn to play an instrument.

Goal 6: To start to learn another language

And finally

Goal 7: To visit 5 places that I’ve never been before.

It’s going to be a great year. Stay tuned. 

No comments:

Post a Comment